Since it was Thursday, I didn't teach my usual class. I ended up back with Mary in Level 1. She was glad to see me because she needed help with this lesson. She put together a little store scenario to supplement the lesson about shopping, paying with and receiving cash, and receiving and making change. I was really impressed with her ingenuity. I got to help her by participating in the role-playing, writing words on the board as she demonstrated, and explained terms and concepts.
I think I really like this class now, too. It might be my new Thursday home. The students enjoy my company and like to talk during their break.
Tonight I learned to be resourceful- being creative and using easily available household times to enhance a lesson, finding a way to make poor-conditioned supplies work (our dry erase board was not cooperating), and finding a means somehow when a problem occurs because a good teacher does what (s)he can to make the lesson enjoyable and effective.
Sadly, I still noticed her correction. It wasn't as bad tonight as it was the first time, but a new form was added: utterance interruption and completion. She wouldn't give most students a chance to complete an utterance if they started to slow down or falter. She would complete it for them and move on. My philosophy is let them try. Often they will catch their mistakes. Let them try to fix it. If they miss it, can't figure out how to fix it, or ask for help, then chime in- and only if it can be done without interrupting the flow of speech.
It's easy to criticize others. I hope I can actively remain aware of this when I'm teaching and be open to constructive corrective criticism.
I'm so glad to hear that you got a chance to participate in this class! I really like that you are getting many good ideas from this teacher and that you are thinking about how you might do similar things and handle similar situations in the future. In addition, seeing teachers do things that we really don't think is good (the constant correction) is also good for us, as it makes us more aware of those things in our own classes.
ReplyDelete